Monday, August 31, 2015

In Defense of Rinon

...I got nothin'...

Just kidding! I was only joking, Rinon...don't cry!!


Seriously, though, Rinon has always been one of my favorite undervalued members of Sakura Gakuin - a category I'd also assign to Shirai Saki, Notsu/Honjo Yunano, Kurashima Sara, Yamaide Aiko & Matsui Airi.

She gets lots of static for her lack of emotion at graduations (including the famous scene at Su's graduation where she is seen laughing over Moa's shoulder while Moa is coming apart onstage), her poor test scores and her understated (bordering at times on robotic) behavior.

But I think hers has been a calming and steady influence on the girls of SG, especially so during the dramatic transition from 2014 to 2015 nendo. I was lobbying for her to be the next president since January 2015.  I figured she was both the steady hand on the rudder and the link to the past that SG needed going forward. Which is why it was so particularly disheartening for me when she fell to pieces at the 2015 orientation - first open class of the year.

If you aren't familiar with it, towards the end of the session (there were 2 sessions, 6 girls in each session), Rinon's team (consisting of Rinon and Mirena) lost a challenge and to drink a concoction of fruits and vegetables and junk mixed up by the other girls. It was apparently gross; right Mirena?



I mean, this was Rinon's first public appearance since being named president. Seeing her cry for the first time ever, over such a trivial thing...it seemed so undignified, so opposite of the traits you seek in a leader - I almost felt betrayed. I expected a strong leader. It was heartwarming to see how naturally the other girls stepped up to help her, to make her feel at ease. But I felt disillusioned to the core. I guess I forgot she was still a young girl.
 
I was unable to shake these ill feelings towards Rinon for quite a while. I wondered if things had been irreversibly torn asunder. I began to worry about the future of SG. I began to question everything I had learned as a fukei. Then this happened:

One of the greatest haircuts of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!


This haircut changed everything. This haircut is the elixir. This haircut turned my heart.

Oh what a fool I have been! Of course Rinon is a great president! As Moa said in a past LoGiRL, Rinon (as well as Hana) was the perfect transfer student at the perfect time; Sakura Gakuin may have fallen apart if not for Rinon! Rinon is wise and strong and perfect for us.

I mean...that haircut, tho-

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not see it yet, but I think that it is cute that Rinon cried. Mirena had a gold reaction to variety. But Rinon is not use to that and she just showed the audience the true Rinon. It is actually nice to see that side of her once in a while. She always has a tough and mature attitude towards almost everything, this showed fukei's that we have yet to see all sides of Rinon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, Lydia. I was initially upset, but I think I now have a better appreciation for Rinon. I really think she is doing a fantastic job. I hope to help others see how great she is, too.

      Delete